Sunday, June 22, 2008

Ideals create hypocrisy

Our mind holds onto the fixed ideas with which we have identified with ourselves. If we have a certain idea of how we should be, then we cannot accept the experiential truths of our beings. Osho has so brilliantly explained this. For example if we have the idea that we have to be brave, that bravery is valuable, then it is difficult to accept our cowardice. If we don’t have any ideals, then we don’t have a problem. We are a coward, so we are, we accept it, we don’t condemn the fact, we don’t reject it, we are what we are. Even Sri Sri Ravishankar said that “Things are as it is, it is we who label them as beautiful or ugly”.  

So ideals create hypocrisy. I bet out of 100 persons if I ask what do they hate in another human being 90 out of them would say hypocrisy. Have you seen the irony of it? People have the ideal of not being hypocrites, and hypocrisy comes through ideals. It is easy to say but try not to have certain ideas about yourself. People are carrying so many ideas of how they should be. For example if one thinks of themselves as “kind” person then they wont allow themselves to recognize and accept angry feelings when it arises. But anger is fact and the ideal is just an ideal, a fantasy of mind. I have to see and realize that I am only the moment-to-moment, experiential reality. Some moments I am angry, some moments I am sad, some moments I am jealous, some moments I am joyful. Moment to moment whatever happens is accepted.

No comments: