Sunday, March 23, 2008

Previous life’s morning rituals

God it was a brisk life when I was juggling studying and working. It’s typical but not for me. I who’s king of indolent, slothful, lethargic, otiose…ok enough of adjectives had to work and study at the same time. The odds were more for physicist to invent time travel than me to pass out with flying colors. But look at me, I defied the odds. Although the comparison here is erroneous. Of course, we all know time travel is not possible. Not even in future because time is an illusion and we can travel only from point A to point B, but since time does not travel, we travel being in illusion that actually its time that’s travelling so how time travel can be possible. Ok, the train is off the track. Let me get back to the track. Where was I? Oh yea, the brisk life.

So my morning ritual was something like this. My friend and I used to share a room. I would wake up first at 5:15 AM (for me that’s middle of the night). Would finish the brushing and would wake my friend who actually wasn’t as lazy as me but still I had to push him in the morning. He would finish his brushing and then would go down to the kitchen for breakfast while I would go for a bath. After finishing that my friend would go for a bath while I would eat breakfast. At that time uncle would wake up because aunty and we used to go out at the same time for work and she would give us the ride to the place. So uncle(I don’t think he even brushed in the morning cause many times foul breath would come out, not from his body, I can differentiate that smell but from his mouth). That stench was enough to wake me fully and be on my toes to run if he tries to talk with me. Usually he would and I as a good and polite boy had to indulge him. Damn why did my mom raised me to be a polite boy. Anyway uncle would make tea, not for me silly but for aunty because queen ruled that palace. I don’t drink tea, I would have my milk, my bagels or if I could find croissants, would make sandwich for my friend and myself, pack it along with juice and would sit on the computer.

It was fascination to sit in the middle of the morning on internet. Don’t know why because hardly at that time someone would be online but still we used to sit on the computer. Meanwhile aunty would come down in a hurry, would drink tea and would have her toast in a matter of minutes while we both would lace up, go out, would remove snow from the car, start the car and heater and would sit for some early morning entertainment. We both knew what conversation we would hear in the morning. It was very characteristic. Aunty would say

“Pankaj, jaldi kaar maudo thai gayu”
(“Pankaj, hurry up, I am getting late” )
“Harsha, jaldi uthti hoye tau”
(“Harsha, if only you could wake up early”)

“Pankaj, savar na paur ma magaj mari na kaar”
(Pankaj, don’t irritate me in the morning”)

Uncle would laugh and would say ” heheheh harsha bol biju shu karvanu che?”
(hehehe “Harsham so what else has to be done?”)

Then aunty would give him the list of things to do, would remind him, no reprimand him to pick her up at 3:30 and not to be late, and then would ask us children if we need something. That my comrades, was my daily ritual for almost a year. Boy how I missed those rushing off days. Now I would wake up at 7:30, would read paper, relax a bit would watch TV and then go to work. (yea I do brush and bath, that is assumed). I even stopped my meditation, man am I becoming lazy.

So the moral of this story is even after being grilled like a sergeant for almost a year, I still am becoming lazier than ever. Perhaps some people never learn. Its you I am talking about not me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GOOD ONE..I GOT ONE QUESTION, WHICH LANGUAGE IS THE CONVERSATION IN? CAN YOU TELL ME WHERE YOU ARE LOCATED NOW? I AM FROM CANADA TOO